The best ways to keep your home free from mold
By Melissa Leslie
Mold is microscopic fungi that consists of small organisms found almost everywhere, even inside your home. Not only does mold make your home look dirty, but different types can cause respiratory diseases and other health issues.
Tiny mold spores are released into the air which are invisible to the naked eye and can cause allergic reactions. If you have a mold allergy, you may find that you are coughing more than usual. You may also have watery eyes, a runny nose and other symptoms that make you feel miserable. In some people, mold exposure can make breathing difficult.
Identify, repair and clean mold damage
Mold can come into your home on your clothes and pets, through open windows, doors and air ducts. Mold spores live and grow in moisture-rich or damp environments, such as bathrooms, basements and kitchens.
There are simple things you can do to limit your exposure to mold and prevent many fungi-related symptoms. Your allergy triggers can be controlled through proper cleaning and the following tips:
- Repair and seal leaking pipes to prevent water damage.
- Maintain your roof to prevent water from seeping into your home.
- Use exhaust fans in your bathroom and kitchen to improve ventilation.
- Reduce moisture in your home by using a dehumidifier.
- Throw out any moldy items immediately.
- Avoid installing carpeting on concrete or damp floors.
- Do not store items in damp areas.
- Clean hard surfaces regularly with natural products such as baking soda, vinegar, tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide, and detergent.
- Use an air purifier with a HEPA filter to clean the air and remove musty odor.
- Call a mold remediation specialist to evaluate your mold problem.
Your home should be your safe haven. If you regularly clean and inspect your home, along with running your HEPA Air Purifier 24 hours a day, you should be able to minimize the amount of mold spores while keeping you and your family healthier.